Diagnosed patients with diabetes need to make tough sacrifices in life. Careful selection of foods low in carbohydrates, alcohol and sugar is essential. Also, avoid eating too much fatty food in the diet. It is important to undergo regular tests for blood sugar to maintain normal levels.
Uncontrolled diabetes can worsen over time. It is also the root of many fatal health conditions. Erectile dysfunction is one of the serious effects of diabetes in men. Researchers found a strong connection between diabetes and erectile dysfunction. High blood sugar damages the blood vessels necessary for proper blood flow in the penis. As a result, erection problems arise.
Can Diabetic Patients Drink Alcohol?
Diabetic patients seldom ask if it’s okay to have some glass of wine or beer on an occasional basis. Drinking alcohol with friends while watching the game is commonly observed.
Do Alcohols Cause Hypoglycemia?
Alcohol drinkers with diabetes run a high risk of having hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. In fact, alcohols cause hypoglycemia. Low blood sugar level can lead to diabetic coma as the disease progresses. Hypoglycemia occurs after alcohol drinking as a result of decrease glucose production in the liver. Instead, your liver is cleansed with alcohol. Both uncontrolled diabetes and alcohol can lead to serious health threat when overlook.
Diabetic patient are at higher risk for hypoglycemia when consuming alcohol on an empty stomach. It takes over two hours for one ounce of alcohol to metabolize in the body. Therefore, uncontrolled diabetes and alcohol abuse increase chances of diabetic coma.
Excessive alcohol drinking for a long time, has a higher risk for hypoglycemia. Also, diabetics experience feelings of euphoria after an alcohol consumption. As a result, they become less conscious and often ignore dipping blood sugar levels. Therefore, diabetes and alcohol have negative impact on the overall health.
Diabetic patients are also at risk if they consume alcohol with heavy exercise. This is common among alcohol drinkers playing softball or forceful dancing in the nightclub. Both exercises and alcohols cause hypoglycemia. After a workout, the body has to replenish the energy used by the muscle tissues. Glucose is removed from the blood and transported to the muscles, placing diabetic at high risk for hypoglycemia.
What Alcohol Can Diabetics Drink?
Can diabetics have a drink? Men with diabetes can have up to two drinks a day while women can have one as long as they consult with a physician beforehand. They also have some drink under the following conditions:
- Alcohols cause hypoglycemia. Therefore, drink alcohol in small amounts and have it with food
- One alcoholic drink or 12 oz beer, 5 oz glass of wine, or 1 ½ oz distilled spirits (vodka, whiskey, gin, etc.)
- Drink only if your blood glucose levels are under control.
- Wear an alert I.D. that shows you have diabetes.
- Take your time and drink slowly.
- Use calorie free drink mixers such as diet soda, club soda, diet tonic water or even water.
- Refrain from driving when on alcohol.
- Avoid overly sweet and sugary drinks mixed with soda or syrups.
- Enjoy your beverage with a healthy snack or meal. Excessive drinking of alcohols cause hypoglycemia and diabetic coma.